Sunday, November 6, 2016

Demi Beads by Toho

Another new bead?  It's a fine line between excitement there is something new to play with, and frustration, especially for store owners and bead sellers, to keep up with new product, color and size.

When I first heard about the demi, I was very intrigued.  To me demi means, half, partial; which is exactly what the demi bead is...half of a whole size bead.  So, take that huge size 8/0 bead and slice it in half, you have a 8/0 demi.  

Then my mind went to the word demigod...  "a mythological being who is partly divine and partly human; an inferior deity."
Image result for demi beads images

The word partly and inferior slapped me in the face...the one thing the demi bead is NOT is inferior.  This bead is the best little bead to hit the industry.  Not the coolest, the most useful, in my opinion.  Let me tell you why I feel this way.  

There are so many times in creating a design you have this "gap" where some thread shows, but - and I know it's hard to believe - a teeny, tiny 15/0 is too big!  Welcome demi!  This little beauty fits in those spots perfect.  It also creates some nice texture when used together to create one.  For instance, you want to use an 11/0; use two 11/0 demi beads and you have some texture.  It makes a wonderful spacer bead that adds a hint of color, it mixes well with all the beads I have used it with lately including super duos, mini duos, crescents, triangles, seed beads, czech glass....on and on. 

Image result for demi beads images
I even thought you could use it like jump rings, not for the same purpose as it's a closed circle, but in creating circles in work, like say in metal work....
Metal artists...let me know.  I think it would be fun!  

Submit photos of how creative you got with the demi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment